Sunday 12 May 2013

No Meat? No Problem :)

If you know me, you know that I DON'T EAT MEAT. You also know my reasons behind my decision to become a "VEGETARIAN" so bare with me...My dad is a HUNTER/FISHER type guy & his dad had a farm, so needless to say, I grew up on meat. I've ate everything from rabbit to buffalo & everything in between. I used to love a BIG FAT JUICY steak smothered in A1 sauce. I am not opposed to ANIMALS being killed to be used for food. I am, HOWEVER, against all the HARMFUL/DISGUSTING/UNNATURAL chemicals "they" treat meat with these days. Don't worry, I'M NOT going to PREACH to you about all this, I'm just giving you a BRIEF EXPLANATION. If I was offered WILD, FREE RANGE, ORGANIC meat, I would eat it. Until then, here are some AMAZING sources of proteins other than MEAT that I enjoy... 

CHICK PEAS
          Man oh man do I love chick peas. I love them in salads, I make hummus with them, I bake them, I fry them up with craisins and feta, the possibilities are endless. 
***I like to replace pasta with chick peas***
chick peas + shredded carrots + dried cranberries + citrus vinaigrette = PRETTY DARN GOOD STUFF

EGGS
l.LOVE.EGGS. I love fried eggs, scrambled eggs, boiled eggs, egg salad, etc. They have been said to be the purest form of protein. A common misconception: "Don't eat the yolk, it's high in cholesterol". Fact: The yolk is fine if your cholesterol is at a healthy level. If it's not, ditch the yolk. 
scrambled eggs + kale + feta = MY ALL TIME FAVOURITE BREAKFAST

GREEK YOGURT
I could seriously eat a 5lb bucket full of vanilla greek yogurt. Holy crap that stuff is delicious, right? Unfortunately, when something is that good, it has a lot of sugar and/or fat in it. I get plain greek yogurt and add a bit of organic honey to it. It's packed with protein and all that healthy bacteria we want our bodies to have. 
***Try making homemade salad dressings with plain greek yogurt***
plain greek yogurt + honey + raspberries + granola = FOODGASM

PEANUT BUTTER
I think a lot of people associate peanut butter as one of the "bad foods" that make you fat. Maybe for some it does, but for me, I've never really kept a close watch on how much peanut butter I eat. It has lots of protein, which I need, and it goes with so many things! I love it with celery, apples and bananas! 
cheerios + honey + peanut butter = HOLY CRAP, SO STINKIN' GOOD
 
Other protein packed delicious things include- cottage cheese, almond milk, cheese, beans, quinoa & lentils!!!

Protein is the building block of all life and is essential for the growth of cells and tissue repair





No comments:

Post a Comment